Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Why do we as Authors write?

So, why do we as Authors write? Money? Adventure? Or just the love of the written word? Most people venture into things because of a void in their life. Me? Of course I have voids in my life, who doesn't? Name one person that has everything that he/she wants and I'll show you something, somewhere that is missing in that person's life. With that being said, not only does writing fill a void for me, but it also carries me away from reality to a place where judgment, life's struggles, financial difficulties and even death does not dwell, unless I so wish it.

So, what "does" dwell in my make-believe world? That is the beauty of it all! My answer: Anything that my heart desires. Some days, I desire love and romance-the kind that causes you to shutter at the sheer intensity of it all, like a passionate first kiss shared between two opposing souls, fighting to be be together, even if it is just for one milisecond of a moment. Like many others, I strive to experience that make-your-toes-curl kinda feeling, that we know only happens in our fantasy worlds. Other days I desire mystery, suspense-the kind that allows you to follow the clues, peeking your interest until the last leaf is uncoved and you almost fall out of your chair with a "Oh, my gosh! I can't believe he was the killer!" kinda moment.

Similar to the feelings that a reader experiences when delving into a new book, as an Author, I get to experience the flip-side of things. I get to allow my story to travel to whatever depths that my mind's eye dares to go. I also feel what my characters feel: sadness, horror, embarrasment, happiness and so on and like a parent, I am proud of their accomplishments and disappointed at their mistakes.

So, why do we as Authors write? Is it because of money, adventure, the love of the written word or a void in our lives that we are trying to fill? The answer: Different strokes for different folks. Meaning, that I am sure that different Authors write for many different reasons, possibly one of the above mentioned reasons or maybe even a combanation of them all. The only certain answer that I can honestly provide is my own personal reasons for writing. What motivates me to go home after a long day at work, pick up my computer and unload the thoughts that are hybernating in my head? My answer: To escape reality, of course, fill the voids in my life, go on a new adventure of my own making, explore the world of the written word and finally, yes, it is nice to make a little money while doing what you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment